Candied walnuts are easier the make than you might think, especially with my quick recipe. In this post, I’ll show you how to whip up a batch of these crunchy and delicious sweet treats.
Who doesn’t love a good candied walnut recipe? The sweet, crunchy taste is a treat everyone will enjoy.
This recipe is delicious, especially around the holidays, but can be enjoyed anytime during the year as well.
In a few simple steps, you can have warm, sweet candied walnuts ready to go. Perfect as a snack or on a salad.
If you’ve never tried making these before, don’t worry, this recipe is simple and straightforward.
Homemade Candied Walnuts
Homemade candied walnuts are a super easy, delicious treat that you can make yourself with ingredients and tools you probably already have in your kitchen.
Here are a few reasons why you’ll want to make this:
- A quick sweet treat
- Prep time is only 10 minutes
- Perfect snack for all ages
- Can be given as a gift
- Made from common and affordable ingredients
What Do These Candied Walnuts Taste Like?
These candied walnuts taste like the comfort of fall and the holidays. The sugar coating is crispy, but not sticky or heavy.
They have the perfect touch of cinnamon, with a lightly sweet flavor that offers an additional crunch once set.
Candied Walnuts Recipe Ingredients
This easy recipe creates a delicious treat with the perfect amount of crunchy sweetness. It requires only 6 common ingredients, so you can throw this together in minutes.
- Walnuts: The star of the show, you can use either halves or pieces, or a combo of both.
- Egg white: The egg white helps the sugar stick to the walnuts, and create the candied coating we’re after.
- Water: Water stretches the egg white to make coating the batch easier, and thins it so it’s not so heavy.
- White sugar: The white sugar will caramelize and give your candied walnuts a sweet crunch.
- Brown sugar: The extra molasses content in the brown sugar gives this recipe a richer taste. You could experiment by substituting with maple syrup or honey instead.
- Cinnamon: The warm cinnamon spice will complement the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Salt: Adding salt is optional, but it creates a lightly salty and sweet mix as a delicious flavor pairing.
Tools & Equipment
You don’t need any special equipment or tools to make this, and you probably already have it all on hand. Here’s what you’ll need.
Tips For Making Candied Walnuts
This candied walnut recipe is perfect for beginners because there’s nothing fancy that you need to do. It is simple, but it’s also customizable.
You can experiment with the flavor by adding your favorite spices, using different types of sugar, or making other easy substitutions.
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about how to make candied walnuts, along with my answers.
What are candied walnuts made of?
The coating on these candied walnuts is made of sugar, cinnamon, and eggs, with the option to add salt if you’d like. Combined they give it a perfectly sweet crunch that’s delicious and addicting.
Why are my candied walnuts sticky?
Your candied walnuts are sticky when they aren’t baked long enough, or you haven’t given them enough time to cool so the coating can harden properly.
How long can you store candied walnuts?
You can store candied walnuts for up to a month, as long as you keep them in a cool, dark place in an air-tight container.
I hope this recipe gets your mouth watering for candied walnuts, and inspires you to make this sweet treat at home. They’re so simple and scrumptious, and sure to become a family favorite.
If you’d like to learn how to grow as much homegrown food as possible in any space, then my Vertical Vegetables book is perfect. It will teach you all you need to know, and includes 23 DIY projects you can build for your own garden. Order your copy today!
Learn more about my Vertical Vegetables book here.
More Garden Fresh Recipes
Share your tips for how to make candied walnuts or favorite recipe in the comments section below.